Friday 17 February 2012

Our First Afternoon Tea!

We had our first Afternoon Tea on Sunday January 29th and what a lovely affair! I have a gorgeous collection of family heirloom tea cups that tea-comers can choose from, classic tea sandwiches and even debued the Karen Moe Photography Dog Bone Shaped Sugar cookies!

We launched our first "Year in the Life of Karen Moe Photography" Dog Art book which contains portraits and stories about some of the wonderful dogs I had the honour to photograph in 2011. Janet Sadel and I sung an acappella song (written by Janet) called Little Dog Blues, and I couldn't resist performing a favourite Dog Ditty of mine (yes, I admit it) "How Much is that Dog in the Window". Everyone woofed along during the rokus chorus and I always customize the lyrics for the verses for every special event.

This time, I had to compose lyrics about Oscar and Kain, this year's Dog Muses of the Year who are featured in the Year in the Life of Karen Moe Photography Dog Art Book. Oscar was present at the party but, alas, Kain was not. We will feature a Dog Muse every year in our Dog Art book. Come by our studio and check it out! I am very proud of it. Here is the part about dear Kain.


Kain

Kain is one cool dude. He is am American bulldog and nothing gets him miffed. He cruises through life from one sensation to the next never getting overly excited or overly vexed. His occasional woof is authoritative in both its timbre and its infrequency: When Kain woofs, it means something.

People are often scared of Kain cuz he is big and has sagging lips and gums that could look as though he has just torn a part a deer; but he is one of the friendliest and most chill dogs I have ever met. Even when I forced him over and over to sit and stay in front of graffiti under a bridge (where it smelled like urine), in front of Hydrangea bushes and on a park bench, he obeyed. After awhile, I think I saw him roll his eyes, but his “I’d rather be sniffing everything nose” never got out of joint.





Here is the part about sweet Oscar!

Oscar

Oscar is an adorable (did I need to point that out?!) 8-month old Havanese. He loves to be photographed and doesn’t even require the incentive of treats. He lives in Yaletown with 2 cats (oh, and 1 human). He likes to chase the cats around the living room making a super-cute grunting noise, I doubt the cats find it so super-cute though.

I have seen Oscar in his fabulous winter coat with a fur collar that he wears in the Vancouver winter. On less blustery days, Oscar likes to go for runs along the Yaletown Seawall, but not without his favourite toy, and everyone smiles as he trots by. Oh Oscar .....



My dear Molly was also present at the tea. It was so great having dogs there and I hope to have more of our dog-friends come to our next Afternoon Tea in May! Here is the part about Molly in the book along with one of her portraits (by the way, this piece of Dog Art is hanging at the Yaletown Pet Hospital at Expo Blvd and Smithe in Vancouver)

Molly
Molly is a purebred Havanese who was once destined for breeding but, having an imperfect knee joint, became a family dog. She is 8 years old and extremely affectionate and playful. Like most purebreds, Molly is not coddled or obsessively clipped; indeed, she can often be seen being dragged around by a four-year-old in most uncomfortable and unflattering positions.

When Molly came for the shoot, she was quite surprised and taken with all of the attention. As a family dog in a household with 3 children it was as though she was thinking, shyly ‘Me, me? This is all about me?” And when she realized it was, the show-dog let loose and we all had a fabulous time!




Here are some of the highlights of our First Tea! Don't miss the next one in May! First: The Tea Table:




And the wonderful tea party guests! That's me in the middle proudly displaying the Year in the Life of Karen Moe Photography Dog Art book!



Bye for now and hope to see you at our next Afternoon Tea!

Karen.

No comments:

Post a Comment